St.Paul A.M.E. Church has over 148 years of service to Houston’s faith community. St. Paul was founded in 1869 as the first African Methodist Episcopal church in Houston. The church was named in honor of St. Paul. He was among the first freed black people. The first worship services were held under the leafy shade of an arbor.
The founding pastor, Reverend David Wren, was accompanied by two families. The founding families were the Richard Brock and Henry Fields families. With God’s grace and a little determination the founders begin to work on the original edifice at 1710 Edward Street located in the Central Houston Business District. Pastor Wren and his group of trailblazers completed construction of the first St. Paul A.M.E. worship center in 1873. In 1875, St. Paul completed an expansion which included pastoral housing.
Over the years St. Paul has provided a solid foundation of service to Houston’s faith community. It’s dedication to social, educational and community services began in 1927 with the establishment of Richard J. Brock Elementary School. The school was founded in honor of pioneer St. Paul member and Trustee, Mr. Richard J. Brock. Brock Elementary currently stands as one of the 185 elementary schools within the Houston Independent School District.
St. Paul Charter School
St. Paul A.M.E. Church and Sam Houston University collaborated to open a charter school. St. Paul Charter School will open its doors in the summer of 2018. The school will initially offer grades kindergarten through 3rd grade with more to follow. Free lunch, free Ipads for learning, and free tuition will be given to the students.
On November 15, 1997, Bishop John R. Bryant appointed Rev. Roderick D. Dawson as the thirty fourth pastor of the Historical St Paul AME Church, Houston. He, First Lady Dawson, and family have been a blessing to the St. Paul Church family. The Dawson family has been formidable in attaining St. Paul’s vision for God’s people. In 1998, Pastor Dawson was instrumental in the establishment of the St Paul AME Church Community Development Corporation. In June of 2000, a community growth and expansion study of the First Ward led to a transitional move.